Sunday, September 29, 2013

Goals # 2541: Visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

A few weeks ago I had the chance to go to Cleveland, Ohio for a work conference. Visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was on my bucket list so I knew I was in luck. What made it even better was that I was there with my friend David who LOVES rock and roll.

As luck would have it, the opening social of the conference was held right there in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It couldn’t have been any better. Not only was I going to the hall of fame, but it wasn’t going to cost me anything, there was a ton of great food and drinks and there was plenty of great music.

It was an amazing place. The building reminded me very much of the glass pyramid found at the Louvre in France. So beautiful! One of the first things that caught my attention was that this place must really be light and airy in the day time, even though I was there in the dark of night.
Each floor has displays and information kiosks. Of course while we were there it will full of people and tables of food and drinks. The basement floor was where all the really cool stuff was. One display after another of musicians and groups that made the 1970s one of the best decade ever in the world of music. 

As I went from display to display, it dawned on me how tragic the lives of so many of these super stars turned out to be. Many died such sad and tragic deaths. Some committed suicide, while others died penniless and broken. Drugs and other addictions destroyed the lives of so many of these remarkable artists. Far too many faded away into oblivion with few people today even knowing who they were. 

At one time in their lives these great rock stars were on top of the world. Millions of people were worshiping them and their music. Now, with few exceptions, they are gone; leaving stories of tragedy as evidence of their lives. How fickle and fleeting fame can be. They give up everything for fame only to be tossed aside and forgotten once their promoters and agents found someone with a new fresh sound. It’s sad; so very very sad. 

But to me, I will always love these artists. I still have thousands of their songs in my media library. Somehow, the music of the 70s will always be a part of my life and a part of our cultural heritage. I believe that the music of the 70’s did more to change the world music culture than the music of any other decade, and I had the chance to be in the very shrine to that music. So awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment