Monday, November 5, 2012

Goal #771: Be a Hamburger Jockey for a Day

I have always wondered what it would be like to be a hamburger jockey in a fast food place like McDonalds or Burger King. It wasn’t something that I had ever seriously aspired to but I was curious. I got my chance to find what it was like when one of the local communities down the road was celebrating something called Strawberry Days asked for volunteers to help with the refreshment during their big rodeo. The rodeo was always the big culminating event of the local Strawberry Days celebration

When I asked what they needed me to do they asked if I would be the hamburger cook for a 6 hour stint. This was it!!! I was getting my chance to see what it would be like to be a burger cook.  Six hours later, when my shift was over I knew why I was so grateful that I never quit school or do anything to compromise my chances for a higher education. I didn’t ever want to have to make a living cooking burgers 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

When I got home, the first thing did was to take a very hot shower. It took 15 minutes of scrubbing to get all the grease out of my hair and out of the pours in my skin. It took literally more than a week to finally get that smell of hamburger grease out of my sinuses.

Now, whenever I go to a burger place I have a renewed respect for the fry cooks. From time to time I leave a tip for the cook and ask the cashier to make sure they get it along with my heartfelt appreciate for all their hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment