Friday, November 23, 2012

Goal #180: Go into The Wilderness and Find the Hair of a Mouse

The first time I did this was at a Tom Brown Tracker School week-long Native American Skills retreat in the redwood forests near San Jose, California. It was a cool experience. I was amazed when I realized that I can do this.

What did I learn from this experience? I learned that most of us miss so many seemingly insignificant things in the world; things that are  fascinating and miraculous in their own way. We miss these things because we rarely take the time to separate ourselves from the world of “big” and focus in on the world of “small”. When we take the time to do this, we discover a whole other world right under our feet.

This world of "tiny-ness" is a world filled with amazing wonders. I discovered a system of trails that the small creatures use to move about, under cover of the grasses, out of site of hungry mammals and birds of prey. I discovered flowers that were as small as a grain of rice, mushrooms that look like they came right out of Alice in Wonderland, and so much more. It is an entirely new world that demands your attention once you are aware of it. And best of all, it's costs you only some time and very little effort. How great is that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment